Saturday, June 26, 2010

Morals of the White Witch

One of my quirks is a curiosity about the real life moral characters of actors who play significant roles in movies I like. I have this naive but stubborn assumption that if an actor or actress plays a part in a morally moving story, that the person must, at least to some extent, endorse the lessons in the story and be shaped by them. How could any of the main actors in The Passion of The Christ not have been deeply changed by that story? How could anyone who played in Hotel Rwanda ever be tempted to be racist? How could Sandra Bullock or Tim McGraw fail to see the profound importance of family and sacrificial giving after playing in Blindside?


But this is, of course, a dumb and consistently false assumption. A good case in point is the Actress Tilda Swinton, who plays the part of the White Witch in the film versions of C.S. Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia. If ever there were a series of fiction stories that convey the eternal importance of real virtue, of good sense, honor, and purity, and most of all of Christ, it is The Chronicles of Narnia. Though the movies (especially Prince Caspian) didn’t do full justice to the original books, it’s still hard to understand how anyone could play a main role in these stories and yet, on a personal level, reject the most basic ideas the author’s life was built upon. But Miss Swinton does this with gusto. She lives in Scotland with John Byrne, the father of her children (one of whom is ironically named Honor). And travels with and sometimes lives with her partner/boyfriend Andro Kopp. Though living in the same house, Swinton and her children’s father are not married, but are said to be good friends, even though the he is aware of her relationship with the boyfriend.


I saw her on Charlie Rose recently, and she seems to be an energetic, optimistic, happy person. Apparently a lifestyle of open marriage “works” for Ms. Swanton. And this raises an important question for Christians. What do we have to say to those of a libertarian mindset who suggest that if a certain behavior or lifestyle makes someone happy--even though the behavior has traditionally been understood to be perverse and immoral--we should live and let live and simply appreciate the fact of another’s happiness, as long as that happiness doesn’t infringe on someone else’s well being?


MM

4 comments:

Kelly C said...

Ok, I've tried to respond to this for a week now and keep deleting it because I'm not sure how I feel. I'm sure the "correct" answer is that the actress is living a life that is morally wrong and she should not be raising children in that environment, etc.... What I feel however is that I'm not sure I care. In her case there seem to be a lot of factors, many of which are personal and not very clear in the articles I've read. She isn't married to the father of her children so is she really cheating? Do we want to start pointing fingers at every woman who is not married to the father of their children? Secondly, if they are not married, and are not really a couple any longer but have chosen to remain together in one home for the children is it wrong then to see another man? I will admit it is odd to take him home. But the bottom line is I don't seem to care. In a way I feel sorry for them and in a way I get disgusted. Divorce, financial trouble, extra-marital affairs, bad hair day, weight gain, mental illness, etc. happens every day in Red Lion and even in Bethany Church, but thank goodness we don't have to read about it in the grocery line. It happens to a celebrity and the world knows and starts to judge. It is sad. And who knows, maybe Ms. Swinton was moved by the part she played. God knows, I don't. After reading The Great Divorce, I find myself noticing the Sarah Smith's I encounter instead of the Tilda Swintons. I can't fix Hollywood. I would much rather look up to the every day people around me who are doing their best to be Christ-like and learn from them.

Anonymous said...

It is greatly ironic that I would pic this blog to read.I am a member of Bethany, I love my church and our Lord. I am also enveloped within similar circumstances though not the same as Ms. Swinton. Some of the roles are switched and yet,I do relate in some ways. While my head and heart tell me that a finality must come in order to move forward, my head and heart also tell me that there yet may be some good to come of it. Some days are filled with suffering(or guilt), other days are filled with glimpses of hope and happiness for my family, maybe a few more happy memories for my children. I don't know what Ms. Swinton's reasons are for her predicament, but I know the private turmoil it can bring. Maybe she is feeling the same kind of turmoil but can't let go. I don't want to let my God down, yet I just cant seem to let go of the "normalcy" there is in just sitting still. In all that is going on, the one thing I cling to is knowing that God will never leave nor forsake me because I've made a mess of things. Do I want to continue in this mess indefinately? Of course not! Why am I spilling my guts? I guess this is how God is at work in my situation right now. I hope that God is at work in Ms. Swinton too and Im so thankful that Jesus died for us cause he knew someday, I (and she)would be struggling in this......We never really know what the reason's are people do the things they do. But God does and I believe he understands all our weaknesses. Im a christian,,,, sometimes, I can be a model at it, but alot of times I just struggle and the most I can do is trust God a day at a time. If you want to, please pray for God's grace that I/she will grab His hand and allow Him to pull us from the muck that is our reality right now. So Kelly C, you are right, it happens everywhere, even in Red Lion to real people who love Jesus and have given their lives to him. Right now this is my best, I talk to God and Im trying to deal, trying to get through to the other side. I hope it doesnt take too long, but if it does I still believe that God wont abandon me, even if all Red Lion talks about it and/or judges me in the grocery line.

Mike Mitchell said...

To Anonymous,

Thank you for sharing your struggles. I know talking about things like this on a personal level takes a lot of courage.

I think the most important point of contrast between what you've said about your situation and the situation of Tilda Swinton described in the articles I've read is that it is a struggle for you, but she seems to happily embrace her situation. We all struggle with some type of sin, but it is a horrible thing when we give up the struggle and embrace the sin.

Not knowing anything more than what you've written in your post, I think what Jesus has to say to you as you struggle (as well as the rest of us in our struggles) is the same thing he said to the woman caught in adultery after all those who wanted to stone her couldn't condemn her because none were without sin (John 8:3-12): "Neither do I condemn you. Go your way, and from now on do not sin again."

Anonymous said...

-we should live and let live and simply appreciate the fact of another’s happiness, as long as that happiness doesn’t infringe on someone else’s well being?....YES.